Wednesday 16 June 2010

Friday Fellowship- The Beatitudes.

So the Friday just gone Joei began our series on "The Beatitudes" (Matthew 5). Personally I thought she did an excellent job. She looked at verse 3. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of God". I think one thing that struck me was when I understood that The Beatitudes is not about us, or those who are poor in spirit but its more about God and His character.

We discussed who the "poor in spirit" were and its really funny the way we get so caught up in defining how someone can be "poor in spirit" that we forget that Jesus wasn't necessarily focusing on the poor in spirit, He was more focused on displaying God's character. (In fact, we couldn't define the "spirit" because we we're confused as to whether it meant the Holy Spirit, or a person's spirit or whatever, thus defining "poor" was equally impossible). Maybe The Beatitudes is all about God's all inclusive grace? My assumption is that "poor in spirit" is US. You, me, and every other stranger in the world. No matter which "spirit" is poor, be it us, or anyone else... "Theirs is the Kingdom of God". Its universal... If a man is in prison and is "poor in spirit" theirs is the kingdom of God. If a man is not in prison but is "poor in spirit" theirs is the kingdom of God. I think God's kingdom is a lot more inclusive than we can imagine and more tolerant than our theology teaches us. I think God's Kingdom is more universal, more accepting, more gracious and loving than we can ever experience. But is SO close! It is here... "Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God would come Jesus replied, "the Kingdom of God does not come by your careful observation, nor will people say 'here is it,' or 'There it is,' because the Kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17: 20-21) (Read the whole section... its more than interesting!)

I love God. I love that His love accepts me and welcomes me in. That His love surpasses and somehow covers all my faults and failures. There I go again... me, me, me... haha... But, I wonder if I will ever be able to love like Jesus loves. To be so radically inclusive that its scary. To live the life of love and obedience through and through even if it meant dying on a cross. I feel we have a long long way to go.

Next Friday we'll be looking at the next verse in The Beatitudes! Come join us because there is so much to learn! Plus, we'll be organising the BBQ for the week after and other events over the summer (like the inter-church sports day)! There's plenty to get excited about :)

Lets continue to encourage one another to live to "touch heaven and change earth".

No comments:

Post a Comment